Ingredients: (for 4 buns)
- 250 g T65 flour
- about 1 tsp dry yeast
- 5 g salt
- 12 g sugar
- 100 ml water
- 37 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 15 g butter at room temperature
Warm milk and water. Take out a small quantity. Add yeast and a pinch of sugar to it. Wait 5 minutes until bubbly.
Mix flour, salt and sugar. Add the yeast mixture. Lightly beat the egg and add about 80% of it to the flour. Keep the remaining 20% for later. Progressively add remaining milk and water. Knead for a couple of minutes until homogeneous, then add the butter. Knead for about 10 minutes, adding a bit of flour if necessary.
Place dough in a lightly greased large and deep dish, cover with a slightly wet towel and leave to rise for about 1h30 to 2h or until dough has doubled in volume.
Fold dough back on itself a couple of times, then divide in 4 equal parts. Cover with the damp towel and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
Shape each bread in a ball by stretching the dough towards its bottom side, pinching the creases to augment surface tension.
Place dough pieces on an oven tray lined with parchment paper, separating them well. Flatten slightly with your hand. Cover with a wet towel and leave to rise for 1h to 1h30.
Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
Using a pastry brush, coat the top of the breads with the remaining egg mixture, then sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds.
Bake at 200°C for 15 minutes until nicely golden. Leave to cool on a rack.